Wednesday, September 26, 2018


Dear Woman,

I read that yet another celebrity has been convicted of drugging, assaulting, and taking advantage of you. It seems there is not a day that goes by without a story like this unfolding. The world would like to reduce you to a flat caricature of beauty that can be exploited, devalued, and controlled. I know that is not true, though.

YOU are my friend, who throws open her door and welcomes refugees with a wide embrace even though it would be easier to climb into bed and watch Netflix after a long day.

YOU are the strong mother I met at the homeless shelter who walked all over town today attending appointments and fighting for a better story for your kids.

YOU are my dear sister, who creates and fashions blooming works of art so that others can fill their homes with fragrant and smile-inducing beauty.

YOU are so many of my friends who wake up far earlier than they would prefer to selflessly meet the needs of the tiny humans relying on them.

YOU are my wise and courageous friend who defies all obstacles set before her to teach teenagers how to use the written word to change the world. I am convinced I would not occupy this space if it were not for the hours I have spent with you.

YOU are my friend donning a raincoat and taking up a sign that says "Free Mom Hugs" in rainbow lettering, making sure every single soul you encounter knows his or her dignity and worth as a valued human being.

YOU are my coworker standing before committees and calling government leaders to advocate for those in the clutches of addiction.

YOU are my teachers, my sisters, my mentors, my mama. I sit next to you in coffee shops and pass you on the street. You are fierce, wise, gentle, bold, and creative. You have a fire in your soul, but you also take care to kindle a flame of burning passion in those you love. There are some who will try to hurt, exploit, or steal what is not theirs to take. Here is what I know, though: No man, political entity, religious institution, or paradigm of oppression can ever rob you of that fire inside you.

Shine bright, Woman. YOU have a gift this world needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment