Thursday, June 18, 2015

Enough is enough

My blood boils deep and my fingers burn on this keyboard with the steam from it all. My little sister gets married Saturday, and on that day, with microphone in hand, I will tell her things about the sacredness of sisterhood and family. But today I question the truth of it all. Because sisters stand up for each other, and families link arms against forces that oppose them. And yet, the life blood drained from family last night, and a little sister was forced to play dead to keep hers. Meanwhile, we get up and sip coffee and are able to live as if nothing happened because I don't have to fear evil hatred against my pale skin. 

A girl is thrown to the ground and sat upon while she cries for her mama. Meanwhile, we make excuses and say "well, maybe we don't know the whole story." I agree, we don't. How could we possibly understand a world where little boys have to be taught to fear the ones charged with protecting us? We know nothing of the oppression, and we choose to live in ignorance. 

Enough is enough. We are family, and families fight for each other. Desmond Tutu said, "If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor." We are oppressing family...sisters and brothers. We are turning a blind eye to injustice against family, even making excuses and justifying the injustice. Enough is enough.

I'll admit...I don't always know how to fight for family. I have watched siblings hurt while I wept because I was helpless and did not know how to alleviate their pain. But I wept. I ached with everything inside me, praying and longing for a day when all that is wrong will be made right. Today, I don't know how to fight for my brothers and sisters with brown skin. But I will weep. I will ache with everything inside me, praying and longing for a day when evil hatred will be defeated forever by the One who is making all things new. I will stand up against the oppressors and say enough is enough. 

Jesus ushered in a kingdom that declared, "There is neither Jew nor Greek, neither slave nor free, nor is there male or female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus" (Galatians 3:28). #blacklivesmatter because we are family, and families link arms against forces that oppose them. 

Either join the fight...weep and pray and speak up against injustice...or stay silent and know you are standing with the oppressors. 

No comments:

Post a Comment